Friday, April 4, 2014

TRIBUTE TO DANA...

It's a real sad day for me today. I got up to the news of my old friend Dana Stephenson's passing a few days ago. This is personal, I know and most people who visit my blog have probably never heard of Dana. But, considering the sobering nature of this fleeting life, I'd like to share a memory...
Dana was a stud...should have been a warrior. Everybody loved and admired him as a handsome man, gifted athlete and notably talented person. Dana was special. He oozed life and excitement in the good old days and was so much fun to be around. He was one of my favorite mates. When we took the field, there was no slow gear...only hair on fire, always pushing the limits! He played hard and knew how to compete. That's what I loved about him. That was when all was fine in the world. Trouble is, Dana didn't fit, got targeted and was brought down, hard...'made an example of', and until close to the end struggled getting his feet back under himself, the discipline part of his mojo back.
From Leavenworth, he wrote and told me his prison leading batting average number, and about how when things are going your way, you seem to have a freight train full of friends, but when hard times hit, you can fit your real friends in the backseat of a Volkswagon (bug)... 
When I was a kid, we had a little framed picture of a dog with this saying on the wall... 
'A friend is not a feller who is taken in by sham, 
A friend is one who knows our faults and doesn't give a damn.'
                                                          Hard life,
                                                          Soft core,
                                                          Thanks, Dana...
                                                          To be continued,
                                                                            Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment